John “Jake” M. Krattiger
John M. “Jake” Krattiger is a Shareholder located in the Oklahoma City office of GableGotwals. His practice focuses on complex commercial litigation in state and federal trial and appellate courts, with an emphasis on representing energy industry clients. Jake’s experience encompasses a wide variety of cases, including disputes over the purchase and sale of surface and mineral interests and oil and gas leases; defense of operators in actions alleging toxic torts, nuisance, and trespass; lease cancellation and quiet title litigation; and other complex energy industry issues. In addition, he represents commercial real estate, insurance, utility, construction, and governmental entity clients in a broad range of litigation matters. A significant portion of Jake’s practice also involves guiding his clients through favorable pre-trial resolution of high-stakes litigation.
He is admitted to practice in the Oklahoma Supreme Court, all Oklahoma District Courts, as well as the United States District Courts for the Western, Northern, and Eastern Districts of Oklahoma, the United States District Court for the District of Colorado, and the United States Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Jake serves on the Board of Directors at the Federal Bar Association’s Oklahoma City Chapter, is a member and Treasurer for the Litigation Section at the Oklahoma Bar Association, is a member and Chair of the Lawyers for Learning Committee at the Oklahoma County Bar Association, and is a member of the American Bar Association.
He is also a member of the Defenses Research Institute, Oklahoma Association of Defense Counsel, Oklahoma City Mineral Lawyers Society, and Luther Bohanon American Inn of Court. Jake is also active in the community at-large where he is a member and Chair of the Legal Committee of the Rotary Club of Oklahoma City (Club 29), Downtown Club of Oklahoma City, and a graduate of Leadership Oklahoma City’s LOYAL Class IX.
Jake is a 2011 honors graduate of the University of Oklahoma College of Law, where he was elected to the Order of the Coif. While in law school, he served as the Executive Articles Editor of the Oklahoma Law Review and was named a Comfort Scholar. Jake received his Bachelor of Arts in Political Science from the University of Oklahoma, where he graduated summa cum laude and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa.
- Summary Judgement for Operator
Obtained dismissal by Oklahoma Corporation Commission and summary judgment from district court for large operator defending leaseholder claims that historic drilling equipment testing facility interfered with lease rights and impacted surface and waters of the State.
- Surface Damages
Represents numerous operators to obtain favorable settlements and appraisers awards of surface damages pursuant to the procedure under the Oklahoma Surface Damages Act.
- Jury Trial Victory for Landlord
Represented a residential landlord in premises liability action arising out of fire, resulting in defense verdict on all claims and award of attorney fees and costs.
- Judgment for Commercial Landlord
Successfully excluded numerous expert witnesses and obtained dismissal for discovery misconduct in action alleging more than $20 million in damages arising out of conveyance of commercial apartment complex.
- Defended Fuel Transportation Company Against Injunction
Successful in challenging request for preliminary injunction by federal district court in Oklahoma City which would have had effect of preventing client from conducting further business in fuel transportation industry. Ultimately reached favorable settlement allowing client’s business to continue.
- Obtained Permanent Injunction on Summary Judgment
Obtained permanent injunction from federal district court in Tulsa preventing landowner interference with Fortune 500 oil and gas pipeline company’s operations on surface easement.
- Jury Trial Victory for Small Business
In complicated nuisance and environmental trespass action, represented an automobile dealer in action tried to state court jury where the client obtained defense verdict on all claims, including recovery of attorney fees and costs.
- Oklahoma Indep. Petroleum Ass’n v. Potts, 2018 OK 24, 414 P.3d 351, as amended (Mar. 21, 2018)
- McDonald v. Thompson, 2018 OK 25, 414 P.3d 367
- ODG-OU, L.L.C. v. Pierce Prop. Mgmt., LLC, No. CV-14-229-L, 2016 WL 11447824 (W.D. Okla. Jan. 19, 2016)
- Musket Corp. v. Strobel Const. Unlimited, Inc., No. CIV-11-880-M, 2012 WL 393683 (W.D. Okla. Feb. 6, 2012)
- Corporate Board Members, Directors Face Potential Personal Liability, The Oklahoman, October 6, 2017
- Companies May Expand on Oklahoma’s Ban of Text-based Messaging, The Oklahoman, May 11, 2015
- Sex-Cells: Evaluating Punishments for Teen “Sexting” in Oklahoma and Beyond, 63 Okla. L. Rev. 317 (2011)
- DRI’s Class Action Compendium – United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit (forthcoming)