Nick Merkley is a shareholder in the Oklahoma City office of GableGotwals. He has a wide-ranging litigation practice representing individual and commercial clients in state, federal, and appellate courts, as well as arbitration panels. His practice covers numerous industries, including energy, insurance, finance, and retail. Nick has extensive experience litigating class actions and other complex cases involving oil and gas-royalty, antitrust, shareholder derivative, personal injury, and product liability claims. He has valuable experience managing discovery and trial preparation in complex cases involving large amounts of documents and electronically-stored information using a variety of collection, management, and production systems.
Nick is a member of the Federal Bar Association, American Bar Association, Oklahoma Bar Association, Oklahoma County Bar Association, and Order of the Coif. He has been named to Oklahoma Super Lawyers, from 2008 to 2019.
Nick’s recent experience includes:
- Obtained dismissal of independent claims against officer and director of private marketing company.
- Successfully defended shareholder derivative claims against director and officer of national employment staffing company.
- Obtained favorable settlement on behalf of oil and gas producer in lawsuit alleging surface damages, trespass and nuisance.
- Successfully enforced non-solicitation and non-compete covenants in contracts of former employees of local marketing company.
- Obtained injunction against former business owner for violating non-compete covenant.
- Managed all aspects of preservation, collection and production of documents and electronically-stored information for business with independent offices in multiple states.
- Obtained judgment on behalf of oil producer for recovery of royalties inadvertently paid to the wrong owner for several years.
- Defeated injunction claims against oil and gas producer by land owner seeking to enjoin drilling operations.
- Obtained favorable settlement on behalf of mineral broker against land owner and competing broker for breaching contract to sell minerals.