Stephen W. Lake
Steve Lake has over 26 years of legal experience in the energy industry, both in a law firm setting and as General Counsel of publicly traded companies. Most recently, Steve served as Senior Vice President and General Counsel for ONEOK, Inc. (NYSE: OKE), a Fortune 500 energy company, and for ONEOK Partners, which was a publicly-traded master limited partnership (MLP). ONEOK is one of the largest energy midstream service providers in the U.S.
Prior to that he served as Executive Vice President and General Counsel for McJunkin Red Man Corporation (NYSE: MRC), a distributor for the energy industry. Before that Steve spent 17 years at GableGotwals focusing on mergers and acquisitions, securities law and corporate finance, primarily in the oil and gas industry.
Steve has provided legal counsel during his career on various business and transactional matters, including numerous mergers and acquisitions, divestiture transactions, corporate governance, joint venture transactions, corporate and securities matters and public securities offerings.
As General Counsel he supervised the legal aspects of a number of significant transactions, including:
- Multiple M&A transactions
- Multiple public offerings of MLP common units and senior notes
- Corporate and MLP “at-the-market” equity programs and commercial paper programs
- Spin-off of a publicly-traded natural gas utility company
- Roll-up (merger) of publicly-traded master limited partnership (MLP) with public parent
At GableGotwals, Steve has represented public and private companies in various M&A and financing transactions, including the following:
Mergers & Acquisitions:
- $182 million cash-out merger involving two public E&P companies
- $1.35 billion acquisition of natural gas liquids (NGL) business
- $305 million acquisition of gas processing plants and gathering and transmission assets
- $175 million acquisition of the controlling general partnership interest in an MLP
- $300 million sale of oil and gas E&P assets
- $300 million acquisition of NGL pipeline assets
- $528 million sale of gas gathering and processing assets
- $450 million acquisition of NGL pipeline development project
- $645 million sale of oil and gas E&P assets
- $240 million acquisition of oil and gas E&P assets and related gathering systems
- $600 million public offering of senior notes
- $1.4 billion offering of senior notes
- $800 million public offering of senior notes
- $150 million public offering of common stock, including $1 billion shelf registration
- $402.5 million public offering of equity units, including $500 million shelf registration
- $194 million secondary offering of common stock
- $400 million offering of senior notes
- $350 million private placement of notes followed by registered exchange offer
Steve has been active with Saint Simeon’s Episcopal Home for over 20 years, including past service as President and Chairman of the Board and current service as Chairman of the Legal Committee.
Steve is a member in good standing with the Oklahoma Bar Association, and is admitted to practice before the Oklahoma Supreme Court and all Oklahoma District Courts.
J.D. with Highest Honors, University of Oklahoma, Norman, Oklahoma, 1991
B.A. cum laude with honors in economics, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee, 1987
American Bar Association
Oklahoma Bar Association
Tulsa County Bar Association