Michael Scoggins is Of Counsel in the Tulsa office of GableGotwals where he is primarily focused on commercial law, energy law, mergers and acquisitions, corporate, and real estate transactions. Prior to joining the Firm, Michael served as Senior Counsel for an oil and gas exploration and production company which provided him with first-hand insight into the operational, management, and legal issues facing energy companies. He has applied that knowledge to representing his clients who conduct business in various industries, including but not limited to oil and gas, commercial real estate, manufacturing, health and wellness, marketing, and employment recruitment. Michael currently serves as general counsel for multiple clients, advising them on all issues related to their business and truly relishes his role as business and legal advisor to the companies and individuals he represents.
Michael earned his law degree in 2007 from The University of Tulsa College of Law where he served as Notes and Comments Research Editor of the Tulsa Law Review and graduated with the highest honors. He received his undergraduate degree in 2003 from Furman University in Greenville, South Carolina.
In his hobby life, Michael is an ultra-distance endurance athlete, training for and competing in 100-mile running races and Ironman-distance triathlons across the country. He has lived in Indonesia and the United Kingdom and travelled extensively in Asia, Europe, South America, Central America, and Africa.
Michael’s recent experience includes:
- Representation of a seller in the divestment of an oil and gas wastewater recycling and disposal facility and related assets for consideration equal to approximately $85 million.
- Representation of multiple oil and gas companies, both E&P and midstream, in the negotiation, drafting, and execution of large oil and gas marketing agreements for the gathering, processing, and purchase of oil and gas with 10-20 year asset dedications.
- Representation of numerous start up companies, assisting with corporate structure, employment matters, contract management, and day to day operational agreements.
- Representation of a buyer in title due diligence matters in the acquisition of mineral fee interests for consideration equal to approximately $100 million.
- Served as Senior Counsel to a mid-sized oil and gas exploration and production company, advising its Permian based team in all oil and gas related operational matters.