Philip D. Hixon
Philip Hixon is a shareholder in the Tulsa office of GableGotwals. He has 18 years of litigation and contract negotiation experience representing the interests of clients in a variety of legal matters including healthcare, construction, business counseling, and general civil litigation, including approximately 25 appeals. He is admitted to practice in all federal courts in Oklahoma, the United States Circuit Court for the Tenth Circuit, and the United States Supreme Court.
Philip advises clients on broad scope of complex and routine healthcare issues with a focus on HIPAA, vendor/payor contracting, strategic initiative support, and compliance issues. His experience includes development of agreements for telemedicine programs and medical equipment evaluation, management of overpayment investigations and refunds, HIPAA breach litigation, HHS OCR third-party complaint response, physician contract enforcement actions, and nursing facility crisis management.
Philip is active in the Tulsa community. A member of the Tulsa County Bar Association (TCBA), Philip was honored as the organization’s Outstanding Young Lawyer and President’s Award recipient in 2003-2004. He currently serves as the TCBA’s Treasurer. Philip also serves on the board of Morton Comprehensive Health Services. He is a past board member of Tulsa Habitat for Humanity and Rebuilding Together Tulsa and a past member of the Will Rogers Memorial Commission.
Philip’s recent experience includes:
- Representation of health care clients in business litigation matters in federal and state court, including resolution of compensation disputes and practice transitions between physician groups and former employees
- Lead attorney responsible for investigating medical facility’s self-identified billing issues and advising senior management on resolution strategies
- Lead attorney for medical facility in HIPAA complaint filed by patient with Office of Civil Rights
- Assisting nursing facility in developing plans of correction and appeal strategies in response to survey deficiencies
- Successfully resolved multi-million dollar cost to complete construction dispute
- Successfully defended jury verdict on appeal in state court, involving alleged jury instruction errors
- Successfully petitioned for extraordinary writ in Oklahoma Supreme Court on an evidentiary matter in wrongful death litigation
- Successfully obtained reversal of one million dollar default judgment against transportation company in federal court, affirmed on appeal
- Successfully defended residential warranty company against claims of construction defects