Philip A. Schovanec
Philip A. Schovanec is a shareholder in the Oklahoma City office of GableGotwals. With more than 20 years of legal experience, he is well-versed in all aspects of civil litigation and has concentrated his practice in energy law and commercial litigation. Philip also advises clients on business organization, planning and transactional work, including contract preparation and review in the energy and general business sectors. In addition, Philip is experienced in regulatory matters before the Oklahoma Corporations Commission, municipal regulatory bodies, and other administrative agencies, as well as in representing businesses in construction and real estate matters. He also handles appellate work related to regulatory and trial court proceedings.
Before joining the Firm, Philip worked at the law firm of Moricoli & Schovanec for 21 years, and for many of those years, was a partner and manager of the firm. Philip authored or co-authored several articles and publications, and has participated in speaking engagements on oil and gas, surface and wind rights, and other business topics.
Philip is admitted to practice in all Oklahoma state courts, and is licensed to practice in the United States District Court for the Western, Northern, and Eastern Districts of Oklahoma, as well as the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit.
Philip’s most recent experience includes:
- Successfully defended multi-million dollar litigation against major oil and gas operator, including claims for negligence and breach of Joint Operating Agreement.
- Successfully tried title and fraud dispute over ownership of mineral interests, and successfully defended judgment on appeal.
- Successfully defended multi-million dollar negligence lawsuit involving claims associated with the loss of directional drilling tool, including voiding of form arbitration provision.
- Successfully defended multi-million dollar qui tam action in federal court.
- Successfully defended and obtained dismissal of negligence and breach of warranty lawsuit against construction company.
Areas of Experience
- Representation of oil and gas companies and commercial clients in all aspects of litigation, including accounting, ownership, operational, and contractual disputes.
- Title, leasing, and surface rights and access disputes between oil and gas companies and surface or mineral owner, including actions under the Oklahoma Surface Damages Act.
- Surface rights and access disputes in municipal areas between oil and gas companies and surface owners and real estate developers, including permitting, planning and development, zoning, and other municipal and administrative proceedings.
- Representation of oil and gas companies in operation, management, and development of unitized development fields.
- Experienced in operational aspects of oil and gas development, including Drilling Contracts, Farmouts, Joint Operating Agreements, Service Agreements, Balancing Agreements, Unitization Agreements and Venture Agreements.
- Representation of parties in regulatory proceedings before the Oklahoma Corporation Commission and municipal boards and commission, including pooling, spacing, zoning, and planning and development.
- Appeals of judgments or rulings entered in regulatory and trial court proceedings.
- Transactional matters in energy and business sectors, including purchase and sale agreements, acquisitions, mergers, as well as organizational matters and transactions.