Richard B. Noulles
Richard B. Noulles has over 40 years of legal experience. His clients consist primarily of major and independent oil & gas companies. His practice includes defense of class action litigation and other complex commercial litigation. He also represents individuals and other entities in commercial litigation.
Since Rick’s admission into the Oklahoma Bar Association (OBA) in 1975, he has won many honors including being named one of the Best Lawyers in America in Commercial Litigation and Natural Resources Law and a Super Lawyer in Energy & Natural Resources, Business Litigation, and General Litigation.
Rick’s recent experience includes the defense of oil & gas royalty class action lawsuits, the defense of state severance tax actions against oil & gas companies, the defense of adverse title claims to producing oil & gas properties, handling disputes over operator rights on oil & gas properties, and representation of the beneficial interest owner of nearly $1 billion in oil & gas assets in several lawsuits relating to the beneficially held assets.
Rick has been involved in a variety of community organizations, including service as President of the Gatesway Foundation for developmentally disabled individuals.
Rick’s recent experience includes:
- Represented oil & gas company in defense of multi-million dollar interest claim on drainage award. Obtained favorable decision by trial court which was affirmed on appeal by Oklahoma Supreme Court
- Represented several major and independent oil & gas companies in defense of multiple class action suits by royalty owners
- Represented major oil & gas companies in defense of multiple severance tax claims by Oklahoma Tax Commission
- Represented major oil & gas company in defense of multi-million dollar adverse title claim on producing properties; obtained summary judgment which was also affirmed on appeal (Okla. Ct. Civ. App.)
- Represented oil & gas company in dispute over claim to overriding royalty interest on several thousand acres of Bakken Shale leases; judgment in favor of client obtained in District Court (U.S.D.C. – N. D. Okla.) and affirmed on appeal (U.S.C.A. – 10th Cir.)
- Key member of team representing oil & gas company in billion dollar plus dispute over ownership of oil & gas properties; preliminary injunction obtained ordering transfer of all properties to client (U.S.D.C N.D. Okla.) and affirmed on appeal (U.S.C.A. – 10th Cir.)
- Author: “What is required for gas to be a marketable product in Oklahoma?” Oklahoma Bar Journal, Vol. 85, No. 2, January 18, 2014
- Author: “Post-Production Movement of Natural Gas in Oklahoma: Is it Gathering? Transportation? Or Somewhere in the Mittelstaedt?”, Oklahoma Bar Journal, Vol. 82, No. 11, April 16, 2011
- Presenter at Second Annual Oil and Gas Law Seminar for the General Practitioner, June 3, 2011: “Fiduciary Duties—Where Are We? How Did We Get Here? Where Are We Going?“
- Presenter at The Eugene Kuntz Conference on Natural Resources Law and Policy, November 18, 2011: “Post-Production Costs in Oklahoma—the Producer’s View”