Lloyd W. Landreth
With a pre-law educational and work history in the natural resource and environmental science fields, Lloyd Landreth has practiced exclusively in the environmental regulatory and litigation area since 1986. Lloyd’s clients include oil and gas exploration, production and transportation companies (including petrochemical subsidiaries), waste disposal companies, domestic and international airlines, airline fuel consortiums, electric and gas utilities, Indian tribes and a variety of industrial clients.
Lloyd has extensive experience with environmental actions brought nationwide under federal statutory schemes such as CERCLA, RCRA, NEPA, CAA, CWA and state equivalents thereto, as well as common law claims. He has been involved in defending clients against regulatory agency and private party claims for cost recovery and in pursuing cost recovery actions on behalf of clients against private parties and government agencies related to alleged soil, surface water and groundwater pollution. Lloyd has worked extensively with environmental consulting firms on the technical and legal aspects of environmental claims associated with a variety of affected media (air, soils, sediments, surface and groundwater) including alternatives associated with risk-based cleanup requirements. He has worked on a variety of environmental matters for Indian tribes and has been involved in numerous water right transactions. Lloyd also has extensive experience in negotiating cleanup actions with federal, state and local regulatory agencies and appears in both federal and state courts of various jurisdictions on environmental litigation matters.
Lloyd’s recent experience includes:
- Defense and prosecution of claims in district court related to historic and current saltwater and petroleum hydrocarbon pollution at exploration and production facilities on behalf of oil and gas producers.
- Representation of energy producers in negotiations with state and federal regulatory agencies, including public utility authorities, regarding enforcement actions, consent orders and other matters related to soil, water and air pollution issues.
- Prosecution of CERCLA cost-recovery claims against private parties for chlorinated solvent impacts.
Negotiations regarding CAA permitting, including failure to permit, failure to amend and audit privilege issues.
Defense of federal and state claims for natural resource damages on mining, landfill, oil and gas exploration and production and estuary sites.
- Negotiation and development of environmental agreements with private parties, state and municipal authorities and management of risk-based cleanup activities associated with upgrade and expansion of jet fueling systems at airports.
- Negotiations regarding wetland disturbance and wetland taking and mitigation issues.
- Defense of EPA claims regarding FRP, SPCC, SWPPP and related CWA violations and operation issues.
- Representation of property owners and prospective purchasers regarding Brownfield and Voluntary Cleanup Program issues.
- Representation of clients for recovery of cleanup costs from historic CGL insurance carriers.
- Defense of federal citizen suit environmental claims against airlines and oil companies associated with terminal, hydrant, refining and pipeline facilities.
- Defense and enforcement of contractual indemnification obligations associated with environmental claims at a variety of industrial and commercial facilities.
- Transactions on behalf of developers for securing groundwater and surface water rights and valuation of water rights.
- Representation of energy producers on NEPA issues related to oil and gas projects.
- Representation of Indian tribes on natural resource damage actions in Oklahoma and Washington.