Jeffrey D. Hassell
Jeff has spent his entire career at GableGotwals but also served for nearly 3 years as outside and in-house general counsel of The F&M Bank & Trust Company.
Jeff’s clients consist primarily of financial institutions, large and small businesses, and individual and corporate trustees, all in business and commercial matters. Jeff provides advice on essentially all aspects of his clients’ businesses and transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, commercial finance, entity structure, commercial contracts, executive compensation, shareholder relations and corporate governance.
Jeff’s practice includes legal consultation to banks on lending, treasury services, bank regulatory and compliance matters, and bank policy development. He also represents parties to commercial loan documentation and workouts, purchase and sale transactions involving both real and personal property, loan enforcement and foreclosures. Also, various businesses look to Jeff for general counsel-type services, such as business planning and structure advice, and individuals, corporate trustees, and foundations consult with Jeff on many types of matters.
Jeff is currently chair-elect of the Oklahoma Bar Association Business and Corporate Law section. He has won many honors, including being named as an Oklahoma Super Lawyer in banking and as one of The Best Lawyers in America in banking law, bankruptcy and creditor-debtor rights law and commercial litigation. Jeff is a member of the American Bar Association, American Bankruptcy Institute, Oklahoma Bar Association, Texas Bar Association, and Tulsa County Bar Association. He has also been very involved in a variety of community organizations – he is past president of the Rotary Club of Tulsa, president of the Committee of One Hundred – Tulsa and a board member for Tulsa Symphony Orchestra.
Jeff’s recent experience includes:
- Representation of lenders in documenting new working capital and term facilities, real estate loans secured by retail developments and hotels, and construction loans.
- Representation of a midstream company in the formation of a pipeline joint venture.
- Representation of a landlord in regard to a ground lease for a new retail shopping center.
- Representation of a healthcare organization in its credit facility and the transfer of its assets to a local hospital.
- Representation of a non-profit organization in negotiation for a potential merger or other combination.
- Representation of a company in the sale-leaseback of its medical facility.
- Representation of a company in redemption of equity and corporate reorganization.
- Representation of a lender in a construction loan for a multi-family facility.
- Representation of E&P companies in the purchase and sale of oil and gas interests.
- Representation of a Type III supporting organization as to all its legal matters, including board compensation, required distributions and charitable giving matters.
- Representation of a tenant in various amendments to its office leases.
- Representation of a lender that provided a revolving and term loan facility to a set of affiliated insurance, HMO and healthcare-related companies.
- Representation of a lender in the workout of a $15 million revolving and term loan facility to a company whose primary assets are drilling rigs and related equipment.
- General counsel for $2.5 billion bank: prepared for IPO, then merged into another bank on April 1, 2014.
- Representation of a group of lenders in the workout of a set of loan facilities exceeding $70 million with collateral in several states.
- Representation of the lender that financed the refurbishment of a hotel in San Antonio, Texas in a transaction involving federal historic rehabilitation tax credits.
- Representation of an oil & gas company borrower in the negotiation and closing of a $100 million credit facility secured by oil & gas properties in other states.
- Representation of a midstream energy company in the negotiation and documentation of its new $1.2 billion unsecured revolving credit facility extended by a group of lenders.
- Representation of a lender that financed the purchase of an aircraft and related equipment and assets.
- Representation of a client in the purchase of the assets comprising a significant part of a fractionation facility in Kansas, along with related equipment. The purchase price was $84 million.
- Representation of the lender to a tribal-related entity in the negotiation and documentation of a loan used to pay off existing debt.
- Representation of the lender in the negotiation and documentation of an $18 million term and revolving loan facility to a local publicly-traded borrower.
- Representation of a group of companies that sold all their assets associated with a wholesale lumber operation, with locations in several states.
- Representation of the agent bank and a group of lenders in the negotiation and documentation of a $20 million domestic revolving credit facility and a $25 million export related revolving credit facility guaranteed in part by the Export-Import Bank of the United States.
- Representation of the lender to a wholesale nursery that purchased nursery facilities in four states from a bankrupt seller.
J.D., University of Oklahoma College of Law, 1987
~ Order of the Coif
B.B.A. in Finance, University of Oklahoma, 1984
The F&M Bank & Trust Company (Senior Executive Vice President and General Counsel), 2013-14
AWARDS & HONORS
Lawyer of the Year – Tulsa
Banking & Finance Law – 2012
Litigation – Trusts and Estates – 2014
Banking & Finance Law – 2015
Litigation – Banking and Finance – 2016
Litigation – Trusts and Estates – 2016
Banking & Finance Law – 2017
Corporate Law – 2018
Banking and Finance Law
Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law
Litigation – Banking & Finance
Litigation – Bankruptcy
Litigation – Real Estate
Litigation – Trust & Estates
American Bar Association
American Bankruptcy Institute
Oklahoma Bankers Association
Oklahoma Bar Association
Tulsa County Bar Association