James F. Lea, III
James Lea is a shareholder in the Tulsa office of GableGotwals where he is a member of the Intellectual Property Practice Group. His engineering background provides valuable insight into his practice assisting clients ranging from start- ups to multi-national and global organizations. As a patent attorney, James’ experience includes intellectual property matters, foreign and domestic patents, trademarks, and copyrights.
In addition to his work in patent, trademark, and copyright prosecution, James has advised corporate counsel on product clearance and infringement analysis prior to products entering the marketplace. He has worked with an array of technologies including submersible pumps, drilling equipment, extrusion equipment, medical implants, business methods, software applications, microchips, and sporting goods. He possesses a wealth of international experience, having managed patent and trademark prosecution in more than 27 countries.
A former mechanical engineer at Texaco, James holds a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Oklahoma. He earned his law degree from the University of Oklahoma College of Law.
James’ recent experience includes:
- Preparing, filing, and prosecuting U.S. and foreign patents and trademarks as part of a global IP portfolio for a start-up research and development company focused on advanced material technologies.
- Ongoing patent prosecution, trade secret consulting, and licensing efforts for global patent portfolio in 27 countries.
- Involved with a multi-year project to build US and foreign IP portfolio for client’s various automotive communication and safety enhancements.
- Negotiating sale of patent portfolio with Fortune 100 companies.
- Advising a global manufacturing company and its divisions/brands in all manner of intellectual property matters, including patent and trademark prosecution, litigation, agreements, general advice, and counsel.